Hey, many topics and groups are in the private area.
For access to the entire community, register with us.

Stay at home parent or out working?

edited July 2016 in Home & Household
Do you guys plan or already stay at home with your baby or do you work?

We have decided that my husband will earn the living and I will stay at home looking after our boy for at least a few years. I am thinking about going back once he is in nursery at around 3 years, part time but until then I want to stay at home with him. Luckily for us we can do that as my husband has a good job. I could not imagine if I had to go back to work straight away and have someone else be with my baby the majority of the day.

What do you do? Can you afford to have it the way you planned it?

Mumofone

Comments

• I'm a little unsure of how I'm going to work this out. I want to have more stable income right now but I'm trying to do it all from home or work where I can take my baby with me. I would like to stay part-time until he is between 2 and 3. I don't want to put him into a facility until he is 3 or 4 but I might look into finding a babysitter, nanny or mother's helper.
  • I would like to take the first year or so off. After that, I was thinking I might like to have my own in-home daycare or kids learning studio to teach classes. I'm looking for something where I can work with kids, because that's where my experience lies, but also so I can take my baby with me. I'm glad I'm not the only one looking to do that. It seems to be more common these days for employers to understand that.

There are even some companies that have daycare facilities within their campus, or mother's helpers who can bring the babies to their moms (so they can breastfeed, etc). There are also jobs that allow moms to work from home for some portion or all of their work, temporarily following birth.
  • I'm going to have to go back to work. At first I was happy to go back to work but now I'm starting to slow down, feel the affects of pregnancy and start feeling a bond with my babies, I wish I could be a stay-at-home-mom. At least for the first few years, but I don't see how I'd be able to do that financially. The work I've done has been working in bars and restaurants, so I wouldn't be able to do that from home. I've also worked at a bank, I couldn't do that from home either since I don't work at one now, they would have no benefit in creating a job like that for me.